Perth Psychologist - Jennie Connolly
Welcome to my webpage. I have been working with the team at Como since 2000.
Previously, I have worked as a Psychologist in educational, occupational, health and rehabilitation settings, within the public and private sectors, since 1976. This has provided me with experience with clients across all age groups, with diverse presenting problems. I enjoy working with people to assist them to move toward their own values and goals.
My current psychological practice involves a number of services, namely:
Counselling, Treatment and Psychotherapy for Individuals and Couples
My work is based on a philosophy of personal growth through self-knowledge, self mastery, relationships with others and integration of life experiences. Within a safe and respectful environment, I help clients to mindfully attend to the ways they react physically, emotionally, cognitively and behaviourally to different situations, and to understand the origins of these reactions. We can then work together to re-shape patterns of response so that they reflect current beliefs, values and goals, rather than old limiting beliefs and automatic reactions that no longer work well in the client's life.
Different treatment approaches are used to best suit the client(s) and their goals. The type of treatment provided can range from brief, focussed treatment for acute symptoms or problems, to more long term therapy for entrenched personality, relationship or coping issues.
I specialise in the following areas:
- anxiety, depression, anger and stress management;
- developmental trauma effects;
- crisis, trauma and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder;
- life transitions e.g. job change, relationship change, retirement, loss;
- pain management, and adjustment to injury and illness;
- vocational rehabilitation and Worker's Compensation;
- hypnosis to assist quitting smoking, or other behaviour change.
- couples counselling.
I also have experience and enjoy working in the following areas:
- health psychology, including management of eating and weight, body image problems, headaches, menopause, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), postnatal depression (PND), substance mis-use/addictions;
- relationship issues, including dissatisfaction, conflict, parenting concerns;
- work issues, including bullying, burnout, career development, coping with change.
Consultancy to Organisations
The health of any organisation rests on the health of its employees.
Services I provide to organisations include:
- management consultancy and coaching to assist managers to effectively manage employees with psychological barriers to optimal productivity;
- employer sponsored employee counselling (up to an agreed number of consultations) to assist employees with problems interfering with work performance and/or satisfaction;
- critical incident debriefing and management;
- workshops on topics such as stress management, communication and problem-solving skills, coping with change.
Consultancy and Supervision to Other Health Professionals
Since 1976, I have worked as a Psychologist in a wide variety of settings, including the Education Department of WA, the Commonwealth Employment Service, and the Quadriplegic Centre . Since completing my Master's degree in Clinical Psychology in 1989, I have worked at the Perth Pain Management Centre, APM Occupational Rehabilitation, Davidson Trahaire (Organisational Psychology Consultants) and in Private Practice for 8 years.
I am a member of the Australian Psychological Society, the Australian Association of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, the Australian Society of Traumatic Stress Studies, Australian Association of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and the Institute of Clinical Psychologists of Australia. I also belong to the Western Australian Post Natal Depression Professionals Association and the Anxiety Disorders Foundation.
My approach to treatment integrates understandings and skills from professional training in cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), hypnotherapy, mindfulness based therapy, trauma therapies including Critical Incident Debriefing and Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR), group therapy and psychodrama.
I have worked in multi-disciplinary teams during much of my career as a psychologist, and find it invaluable to liaise with other health professionals to enhance understanding and management of clients with a range of difficulties. I work closely with a number of doctors (GPs and Specialists) and physiotherapists, and find that developing a partnering relationship facilitates communication and joint management.
I have provided supervision for Psychologists working toward Registration or their Clinical title with the Psychologists' Board of WA, as well as counsellors requiring supervision for membership of various professional organisations, or to support and enhance their professional practice.
Back to Top